Monday, April 13, 2009

White House Easter Egg Roll 2009

So yesterday (this morning), I railed on tourists. And my opinion hasn't changed. In fact, I've added a new gripe:

Don't wear high heels to walk around the city or to the White House or to the Capitol. Don't tell me you're comfortable because you're not. And you're not fooling anyone. We still know you're a tourist.

Anyway, today was the ultimate tourist trap: The White House Easter Egg Roll.

30,000 people received tickets (and that probably doesn't include staffers' kids). And I was there as a volunteer. I braced myself for stinky eggs, whiny kids, and a bunch of tourists thinking they were going to walk right into the West Wing just because they got a ticket to the backyard (so the South Lawn totally feels like a backyard--a giant one nonetheless--but an awesome backyard).

But it was so much fun. The kids were so, so cute. We only had a few criers and even fewer temper tantrums over at the West Egg Roll (my station) and only one or two pushy parents. I think they were more excited than the kids. One cutie pie called it Obamaland. I love that child. It's so true. It was totally Obamaland. A few celebs came by too (Tom Joyner, Chuck Todd, and the farmer from the movie Babe). Unfortunately, I missed the POTUS and FLOTUS. They came in the morning, but I had the afternoon shift. Still, it was so worth it. And now I'm feeling extra maternal and can't wait to dress up my little babies in gingham and argyle and seersucker on the Monday after Easter!


(P.S. Papa Smurf is still the greatest grandpa ever [no offense, Granddaddy]).

No comments:

Post a Comment