Monday, March 9, 2009

Facebook

Oh No! Where did I go? I didn't even realize it had been a week since I've posted. But I'm here now! I kinda got a little obsessed (or at least distracted by) the Michael Steele fiasco (there's part of me that actually feels bad for him...or just embarrassed for and by him) and The West Wing. I love that show. Seven seasons to remind me why I love politics and, quite frankly, why I don't have a job. Did I mention I'm unemployed? Who really goes into a career field that's based on a calendar made of cycles that most people don't even realize exist? And really who wants to be a lobbyist these days? (Oh wait, I do. D'oh!)

Anyway, I got rid of Facebook in January. It was difficult, but a lot like pulling of a band-aid. Quick, painful, it stings a little, but you end up glad that you did it. I think Facebook is amazing. The things you can do (register to vote, find an old flame, track your friend's birthdays, start a movement, elect a President) are astounding. Really. Online organizing humbles me. I don't get it, but I like it and support it.

But Facebook just isn't for me anymore. It jumped the shark a little while ago. Those (we?) early adopoters don't even recognize it anymore. I preferred it when there were a few of us on there, no (real) adults and certainly no high schoolers. Groups meant something (kind of), and friends of friends were actually friends. You didn't need high privacy settings, and Katie Couric (for instance) wasn't checking to see if by chance you did something stupid at a frat party that might actually be newsworthy because you happen to be tagged in a photo that might make the President believe you aren't trustworthy...or at least that you're silly and a possible political liability.

I don't miss it. I thought I would, but I really don't even think about it unless someone asks me, "Why aren't you on Facebook anymore?" Sometimes I want to be nosy, but seriously, if I still had Facebook, I promise this blog wouldn't exist (I'd be stalking inappropriate people as we speak, including ex-friends' ex-boyfriends' new girlfriends' gay lovers). And what would life be like without this blog????? (wink)

But it seems a few folks agree with me. I miss none of this, especially #9 and #20. When the new Facebook (not Twitter -- I think that's just dumb for the most part) comes along, I might be compelled to join. But really, they all just go the way of Black Planet, Friendster, and pretty much a few other things about which I probably don't even know.


No comments:

Post a Comment