Sunday, March 1, 2009

Google Reader


So, it turns out the Barnes&Noble photo was real! I searched and searched (but then pretty much stopped) to see if I could find an answer or explanation last week, but then today stumbled on this thanks to Jack and Jill Politics.

I saw the article thanks to Google Reader! GR has changed my life -- and my reading habits. I'm totally going to mess up the technical explanation of this, but here's my attempt to explain why I love it and how it works. Basically, if you have gmail (and who really doesn't), click in the top left corner on "Reader". From there you can subscribe to anything on the web with an RSS feed (like I really know what that is), like blogs and news sites (I've heard you can even follow airline sites to see how prices go up and down). Then, whenever something new is posted to the site with the RSS feed, it will show up in your handy Google Reader page! It makes way more sense when you see it. But I LOVE it! I read everything from Mrs. O to CNN to wedding planning blogs.

You can also organize each blog that you read into folders, which makes reading a lot easier. Plus, I read the "serious" ones first and then work my way to the exciting ones. My categories are Local (local news and events), News (national), Politics, Sexy Style (really its gossip, but I don't want to call it that -- oh wait there's also some fashion in there), and Weddings. Then I have two blogs -- Smitten Kitchen and Bakerella -- that don't fit into a category. They're both cooking blogs, and I feel that if they get a folder, then that means I'll actually have to start cooking. And I'm not ready for that kind of commitment to the kitchen! Soon, though, because I love what I see and I really can't afford to eat out all of the time.

But check out Google Reader. You'll feed better about yourself. You get to be smart and fun all at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment