Monday, March 2, 2009

Man of Steele

I don't have too many nemeses in this world -- real or fictional. Most people like me (yay) or at least like me enough not to hate me. Well most people. Can you let me know if you know someone who doesn't like me? Thanks.

Anyway, when I was a sophomore in college, the Young Repubs, Young Dems, and Black Government and Politics Society hosted a forum with the then-head of the Maryland Republican Committee: Michael Steele. I learned then, in my last year as a teenager, the important lesson that a person (me) can be completely mesmerized and turned one (not sexually) by someone s/he (I) cannot stand. I mean, like, really despise because their personal views are just totally contrary to your own. It was an awesome forum, mostly because I argued with Mr. Steele (fact about me: I love to argue!!!!). He and I went back and forth and back and forth. A worthy opponent, I must say. And then after it was all over and we shook hands and he cordially gave me his business card and told me to keep in touch, I boarded the shuttle bus back to my dorm, and thought long and hard (after telling my mother all about this awful person) about how on earth a seemingly normal and nice person, someone with whom I'd actually like to drink a beer and chit chat, could be so wrong about everything. He became my nemesis. I mean I was 19 (lots of people have kids and houses and real responsibilities by then), and I had an internship on Capitol Hill (with the now infamous Blago, no doubt) so I knew how to fix this country and make it better.

The next morning, I sat down and wrote him an email (he did give me his card after all). I hit send and thought I'd never hear from him again. I felt good. I stood up for what I believed and didn't back down. I wasn't intimidated by his title or position. And I knew I was right. And I knew he knew that I was right. And his silence was just his way of saying I wasn't important enough. And that I was right.

Then one day, I received a response. A public official actually responded? And not in a form letter that some staffer wrote? Trust me. I had written those letters myself. This one was from him. I read it. And reread it. And read it out loud. Then I got it. I figured out the difference between Democrats and Republicans: the size of government. He and I just didn't agree on how big or how small of a role government should play in the lives of its citizens, nor even on what the role of government is. I still think he's wrong, but I accept his opinion.

I had NO clue then that he'd be the RNC chairman less than a decade later. I definitely would have lost that bet. And so far I've been more embarrassed than impressed. Is it really necessary (or even politically savvy) to "hip-hop" up the GOP? And does he really have to use stereotypically urban colloquialisms to move forward his agenda? Come On! Was he at least offended when one of his own mocked Ebonics by saying, "You be da man," (emphasis on "da") during her thank you remarks after he spoke at the CPAC meeting in late February?

At least he's checking one of his own -- and a powerful one at that too. So I guess I'm saying: Good Job, Mike. I had lost complete faith in you and nearing a total loss of respect for you. But maybe, just maybe, I can continue to have a love/hate relationship with you. I'd prefer that. I'd rather you be my nemesis and not just the butt of the joke. You're a worthy opponent. So, please stop using the unnecessary and silly vernacular. It doesn't make you cool. It makes you irrelevant. I want to see you succeed, even if I also want to see your party implode. Good luck.

And, I just wanted to share this, for old times sake.

3 comments:

  1. Between Governor Slumdog AKA Taj Mahal of Louisiana giving the whack ass response to Barrack's Address to Congress and RNC Chairman Sambow talking black around blacks (Tavis Smiley's State of the Black Union) and then talking white around whites (The GOP Klan) the Republican party is in total disarray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah...and let me throw in dumbass Alan Keyes. Yo, Alan if Barrack isn't the 44th President of these United States...how come he is currently living at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave (NW), he has 24 hour Secret Service protection and OH YEAH people address him as MR. PRESIDENT! DAMN GOP (Good Ole Punks)

    ReplyDelete